Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Clares Christmas Cooking: Fudge

The ORANGE Fudge
Try one: Fudge From Hell







One Night at the beginning of my break I decided I wanted to master the art of making fudge. During Thanksgiving, Grandma Q had bought this kind and it was so good, so it was the one I wanted to make. The first try took about four hours. First I asked Mitch, "What kind of sugar do I use to make fudge," he replied with just regular sugar. So I went to Walmart and purchased all of the things I needed amounted to about 20 dollars ( I bought my first set of hand beaters)! I was doing so well, when I came to the end result and was like what the FUDGE happened? First of all I broke my first set of beaters, apparently fudge is thick and you can not just put it on high. The fudge was so grainy, it tasted really good, however the texture was like a freshly paved road. I was pretty red with fury, I had waisted all my time and figured out I used the wrong kind of sugar, I was supposed to use powdered sugar instead of the other kind. Did I mention I doubled this batch so I could share with all. So meh, after getting mad pretty fast, I threw it all out and prepared to try it the next night.



Failure







The Chocolate Rasberry Fudge
Try two: half batch not half bad



After going to Walmart for my second time I decided to try another kind of fudge, Chocolate Raspberry. I bought all the stuff, and traded in for a new set of beaters, seeing how I had already broken the first set. This time I thought I would just try a half batch. I DID NOT make the mistake again of using the wrong sugar. I put everything in just like the recipe said. However if it is Clare cooking, there is a disaster. The beaters broke AGAIN, and it was not all mixed I was about to throw them against the wall. I went out into my apartment complex to try and see if anyone else had beaters I could borrow so I would not have another failed batch. Since it was break and most people were gone, I was not very lucky in my journey. I did however run into my friend David in the Hallway,who does not live in the apartments. I asked him on a whim "do you have an beaters!?" He replied with 'NO I wear the G's" ha ha. He was so confused. After that, I convinced him to come in and stir it for me. This one tasted the best so far, but was a little thick because the lack of stirring. So the chocolate raspberry was now complete and passed the check of my two friends who tasted it.


The Orange Creamcicle Fudge


The third try: Terrific




The third try was done PERFECT, it truly was. I went out and spent 20 dollars at Khols and bought bigger and better beaters. I was so ready, I tried super hard and all of my hard work and tries resulted in a perfect batch of fudge that tasted just like an orange creamcicle.


Orange Recipe

  • 1 eight ounce thing of Cream Cheese
  • 3 cups of POWDERED SUGAR
  • 1 big bar of almond bark white chocolate (walmart) melted

1/2 teaspoon of Orange extract
(for chocolate, use chocolate instead of white, and use raspberry extract)

Melt chocolate, add to bowl, mix in cream cheese until smooth and then gradually add in powdered sugar. Mix until smooth, add in extract and then put in food coloring if you would like!

Spread out in a 16x8 pan? put in fridge until you want to use it!


Things I learned while making fudge:




  1. Take the amount of time the recipe says it will take to bake it, and times it by about 3 and that is how long it takes me.


  2. Always buy double the amount of supplies because I either spill it, or mess up the recipe.


  3. Always have a boy on hand that can come in and stir (that could be a benefit of getting married maybe?)


  4. Never listen to Mitch about sugar, rely on Wikapedia, it is the most correct information database in the world.


  5. Try, try, again! The end result is worth the time.... kind of

1 comment:

Emmers said...

i would probably just find a man and then register for a kitchenaid